The Haa, Catfirth
Old Haa of Brough
late 17th c?
No trace remains other than carved stones (skew putt with human head
(late 17th c.) and mouldings) incorporated in a ruinous roadside house.
Demolished in the 1830's.
Old Manse, Neap
Prominent ruins on hilltop.
Much altered and extended. Parts of the house are clearly of the typical
Haa form of two storey and tall garret. Armorial panel, dated 1707,
commemorates the marriage of Thomas Hunter and Grizella Bruce. Seat
of the Hunter family, Lunna's earliest owner was Robert Hunter Chamberlain
of the lordship of Zetland.
late 18th c.
2 storey, 5 bay. A lower house little influenced by the Haa form.
Haa of Wethersta also called Midhouse
mid 18th c.
2 storey, 3 bay with 1 bay extension. Chimney stacks to gables and between
house and addition. Built for the Giffords of Busta possibly on site
of earlier booth. Typical Merchants Haa.
Complexity of works from different periods.
Much dates from 1714.
Old House of Garth
Site of the long vanished house of the Mouats of Garth. An armorial panel
from here is in Gardie House (Bressay), its date has been recut unconvincingly
as 1579 but is more probably of 1679.
2 storey. Much altered but its irregular deepset windows indicate an
2 storey plus attic, 3 bay
This late house has typical Haa proportions.
Haa of Lunnister also called Midhouse
late 18th c?
Early 19th c. on earlier foundations.
Single storey with cellar and attic, Venetian doorway. Later dormers. Contemporary
gatepiers. Although lower than other Haa buildings the garret is pronounced.
Adjacent buildings include the booth which it is said dates from 1684 when
a Hamburg merchant Adolf Westerman had a booth here.
2 storey. An earlier Haa with irregular deepset windows. Buttresses later.
Haa of the Cheynes of Tangwick.
Museum, restored in 1987 by Peter Johnson.
Ruinous remains at beach.
2 storey, 3 bays. Typical late Haa. Ashlar porch.
House, restored in 1972 by Richard Moira.
Decaying house, unoccupied. Typical late Haa of two storeys, 3 bays wide
with associated boathouse and outbuilding.
Being restored as a house, 1996.
Large 2 storey house, 5 bays wide, originally with garret. The dominant
dormer windows are later. There are chimney stacks at either gable
and one between the 2nd and third bay. It is unclear if the Haa was
extended at an early date. It is similar in form to the demolished
Twageos House in Lerwick.
Built for the Nicolsons.
South Haa, North Roe
North Haa, North Roe
2 storey, 3 bay with shop attached. A typical Merchants Haa. There
was previously a pier in front of the house.
House, restored 1996