Old House of Lund
Doorway from the house late 17c moved to Muness Castle in 1959. (the doorway
looks more like c.1750)Built for John Ross, Merchant. Roof removed
Derelict walls remain in a dangerous condition. The oldest part is to the
front (west) with a later, parallel, range to the back. The front block
has a deeper plan form than most Haas. The windows are also larger than
in other Haas and give the building a curiously insubstantial appearance.
Indeed these windows have probably contributed to the poor condition of
the walls. The front porch is later and looks early 19th century.
Built by Andrew Bruce
Built by Gilbert Bruce
No trace (present house built 1830's)
Old Haa, Uyeasound
Old building at east side of Uyeasound was called
Bruce's Hall. Could this have been Gilbert Bruce's house. Ruins vanished
by 1880 when stone reused as fish workers bothy.
Old Haa, Murrister
Site of the former Haa. Remains visible until about 1927.
Haa of Uyea
House of Still
Haa of Scarpa, Baltasound
Haa of Hammer
Disappeared at end of last century.
Haa of Houll
from 17th c.
Plain 2 storey, 6 bays, crowstepped gables
Built for Thomas Edmondstone c.1835? Very plain and the only resemblance to
the Haa are the narrow gables. A 19th century wing was blown up in 1955. The
Edmondstons claim to be able to trace their lineage back to Norse times.
House, extended to the rear in 1995 by Richard Gibson.
Haa, Brooke Point
Rubble on site remains
early 18th c.
Rubble remains of ground floor only.
Near to the former fishing station of Urie with booth etc. Built by Andrew
Bruce of Urie (d.1717). His grandfather was cousin to Laurence Bruce who had
built Muness Castle. 'The Haa of Urie has a lower floor with 25 chairs and
accommodates a party of gentry better than any Nor(th) Isles House'
'a plain family mansion'
2½ storey, 3 bay. Later porch. Symmetrical flanking outbuildings
and walled enclosures. The Haa sits high above a natural harbour with
booth. Timbers in the house said to have been from the wreck of a ship.
Built 1815 by Gilbert Smith, factor of the Nicolsons estate. GS 1815
on the lintel above the main door. Derelict, roofless, the front wall
partly collapsed. The roof removed in the later 19th c. The house appears
to have been roofed using Ballachulish slates as fragments are scattered
around. The booth may have been roofed in stone slates as fragments of
these are scattered around.
Reduced in height? Derelict, roofless. Irregular, small, windows. Connected
with the fishing station at Funzie and unlikely to have been a Haa
but more likely a böd or fishing station lodge. Mentioned in Alexander
Fenton 'The Northern Isles- Orkney and Shetland'- 'The Haa of Funzie
already had a slate roof by 1878'.
Haa i North Dale
A low, small house but has the 'Haa' name. North Dale
was the home of a long line of Udallers from as early as 1505.
(info. Neil Anderson 1996)