Haa of Sand
3 storey, 5 bay grouped 2/1/2. Entrance doorway with shouldered architrave,
Armorial Panel above. Shetlands most impressive Haa and the ultimate
development of the tall regular form. The principal rooms on the first
floor are indicated by their larger windows with small windows serving
the second floor bedrooms. Symmetrical single storey wings to the sides
(now altered) with ball capped apex. All first and second floors retain
their fielded panelling with arcaded panelling in the drawing room. Almost
unaltered internally other than the ground floor where the staircase
has been turned and the entrance hall enlarged. Built as his summerhouse
by Sir Andrew Mitchell of Westshore (Scalloway) who was given leave by
the Earl of Morton to remove from Scalloway Castle 'dressed freestones
torn from their place to supply door and window jambs and lintels, and
corner stones for this mansion.'3 Two complete doorways from the Castle
lead into the walled policies.
'...a miniature resemblance of Sand House was built by John
Cumming son of one of the ministers of the parish about 1760...'
Earlier 19th c.
2 storey plus garret, 3 bays. A typical Haa.
The ground floor windows have been widened.
3 storey, 3 bays.
Restored 1978. A good Haa from the period when the Haa reached its most developed
form. Larger windows to the first floor principal rooms with smaller windows
to the second floor. Residence of the Henrys of Bayhall.
Converted to flats, 1978, by Shetland Islands Council Architects and Richard
Lesser Lairds Houses:
The Haa (Watsness?)
2 storeys and garret on raised basement, 3 bays. A typical Haa with associated
outbuildings and grounds. Much altered, particularly internally, at the
end of the 19th century and a new wing added in 1995.
The Haa, Vaila
2 storey, 3 bays. Originally plain gables, crowsteps were added when the Hall
was built. Armorial Panel dated 1696 over the original main entrance (now
within Vaila Hall). Massive additions early 20th c.
This was a fine early Haa and photographs show outbuildings and an arched gateway
with leading into a court. The gateway has a moulded surround and an Armorial
panel set in a pediment over. Built by James Mitchell of Girlsta, a Scalloway
merchant. In 1696 the estate passed to the Scotts of Melby.House
The Haa, Watsness
2 storey plus garret, 3 bay. Said to have been built as a manse half
way between Walls and Sandness.
2 storey plus garret, 3 bays. Additions to the rear. Seat of the Scotts
of Melby. John Scott, 2nd son of John Scott of Gibliston (Fife) inherited
Melby, Vaila and Foula through his mother Grizel Mitchell in 1736.
North House, Melby
2 storey, 3 bay. Moulded skewputts. Probably preceeded Melby as the seat
of the Scotts.
The Haa, Aith
2 storey and garret, 3 bay. A typical merchants Haa sited on an elevated
site overlooking what was likely to have been a fishing station. The
beach is stony and has a flat area above high water which indicates
its use as a fish drying beach. There are other ruinous buildings around
the Haa and on the beach.
Walls remain. The roof has collapsed into the building. The Haa was roofed
using stone slates which were nailed in place by large iron nails.
Haa of Bixter
The ground floor can still be seen at Lower Bixter. The house was occupied
in the 1950's.
A crofthouse illustrated in Alexander Fenton 'The Northern Isles,
Orkney and Shetland'
3 The Statistical Account of the Shetland Islands. 1842