from 17th c.
Used by the Bruce family as a halfway house between their various properties
before John Bruce bought the Sandwick estate c.1770. The rear wing
is oldest, the house has been added to over the years ending in an
Edwardian smoking room. The eaves of the old house have been altered
with the unusual use of red brick also used as string courses (also
to be seen in estate and mining buildings in the vicinity of the house).
Good walled gardens with garden follies. 1789 pedestal sundial in front
of the house and a piended roofed doocot.
South wing- original house from 17th c.? in tall narrow Haa form.
E/W block- 18th c.
North wing- 19th c.
The Haa, Mousa
late 18th c.
2 storey, 3 bay. Built by the Pypers. Typical small Haa.
2 storeys and garret, 3 bays, harled L plan, later porch in angle (early
19c.). Typical tall Haa with pronounced garret. Built by John Bruce
who had married Clementine Stewart in 1744, his initials (he added
Stewart to his name) and the date are above the old entrance. Said
to have been an extension to an earlier building.
2 storey plus garret, 3 bays. Typical later Haa. Seat of the Griersons of Quendale,
successors to the Sinclairs.
Derelict, roof remains.
Old House of Sumburgh
late 16th c.
Remaining range (South) dates from 1604/5 and was ruinous by c. 1700.
2 storey, 2 rooms on first floor. This building may have been in early
Haa form. Built by Robert Stewart who had been granted lordship of
the Northern Isles in 1564 and tenanted by William Bruce, an immigrant
Fife laird, in 1592. The South range dates from a reoccupation by the
Ruinous walls remain.
late 17th c.
Probably 18th c.
2½ storey, 3 bays. Double pile with double pitched roof. Typical Haa
form can be seen on the front elevation. This was the next home of the Bruces
after the Old House of Sumburgh.
Haa o Stova, Dunrossness
Mentioned on page 103 of Jakobsen's Place Names
(info. Neil Anderson 1996)